Saturday, February 25, 2012

Science Fiction and the End of Attempt One

The day after tomorrow I will be mailing my OTS commissioning packet to Randolph Air Force Base after which it will be around three months before I learn my fate with regard to this potentially life changing event. I only have emotion as a measure of how likely my selection is which is so unreliable that I think it wise to attempt a more stoic approach to the entire matter.

Today is the fourth day of Lent. I've given up computer gaming and watching videos. The intention was for this to free up daily time for scripture reading and prayer. Thus far I've done nothing of the sort. I need to seriously examine my priorities.

In the last two days I re-read Ender's Game which proved to be a most favorable re-visitation. Orson Scott Card writes with such a imminently enter-able characterization of individuals that one feels as if one knows them. It further is an inspiration to improving ones own motivation and leadership ability, as Ender is certainly written as an effective commander and goal destroyer.

I'm started on the second book in the "Ender" tetralogy Speaker for the Dead which unlike the first book that I read in high school is a first time read for me. It occurs apparently three thousand years after the events in the first and thus far has a very different, though not uninteresting story.

Also on this weekends activity list is the last minor corrections to and organization of my OTS packet. My squadron commander was originally going to get me the Wing Commander's signature for my recommendation which would be very weighty... but instead I only received the deputy group commander's signature which is four steps down and he's not even an O-6 which I believe is significantly damaging to my packet. I have no choice and certainly no time to correct this anymore I'll just have to send it in and hope that this isn't the deciding factor that prevents my selection. I do not really understand why this change occurred and honestly I think the only correct response on my part at this point is to "shut up and colour" finish what is in my control and send the bugger in. I do however, admit to disappointment.


Mood: Discouraged/Introspective
Drink: Assam valley FTGFOP1 Miffed
Music: Oh My God (Jars of Clay)

No comments:

Post a Comment